Thanks for checking out Let's talk...Memory Books!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited browsing options, why don't you take 37 seconds and Sign up. Once you do you'll be able to enjoy all the great benefits of membership like
  • Ability to interact with other Let's talk...Memory Books members
  • Create new discussions
  • Reply to existing discussions
  • Modify your profile to have a custom avatar, signature and more!
  • Too many membership perks to list! Join today for free!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. this is just a test for the message system
    Dismiss Notice

Grilled Eggplant Roll-ups

Discussion in 'Vegetable Dishes' started by Trishee, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Trishee

Trishee
    Expand Collapse

These have meat in them, but the meat can be dropped if you do not want it in here.

Ingredients

1 large or 2 medium firm eggplants
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
    Salt and pepper
    2 cups ricotta cheese
    1/2 cup (a couple of handfuls) grated Pecorino Romano cheese
    1/4 cup (a generous handful) chopped parsley
    1 small onion, grated or finely chopped
    3 to 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
    1 fresh bay leaf
    1 cup chicken stock
    1 28-ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
    2 pinches cinnamon
    8 slices capicola (spicy, Italian salami)
    1 pound ball smoked mozzarella, thinly sliced

preparation

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Heat a large grill pan or grill to medium-high. Trim a little skin off the eggplant so it sits stable on its side. Trim another slice of skin off the first side then cut the eggplant into 8 slices lengthwise, each about 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick.

Brush the slices with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Grill until tender and seared with grill marks, about 3 minutes on each side. Cook in 2 batches if necessary.

While the eggplant is on the grill, mix the ricotta with Romano and parsley.

Heat the remaining EVOO from basting the eggplant in a small sauce pot over medium to medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic and bay leaf, and season with salt and lots of black pepper. Cook for 5 minutes to soften the veggies then add the tomatoes and cinnamon. Simmer 5 minutes more.

Remove the 8 eggplant steaks from the grill and top each one with a slice of ham. Place 1/4 cup of cheese on one end of each steak, then wrap and roll the eggplant.

Set into a small casserole. Place a dollop of sauce on each rollup and top with the thinly sliced smoked mozzarella.

Bake 20 minutes until ricotta is set and cheese has melted to golden and bubbly on top. Pass remaining sauce around at the table.

Yields 4 servings

2. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

Mmmmmmm! They sound HEAVENLY! (adding eggplant to grocery list)

3. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Even pigs won't eat eggplant!!!!

4. Trishee

Trishee
    Expand Collapse

My dear Tink.. I do believe we have been burnt! From someone who eats truffles... a choice food of swine, this is a bad burn indeed. lmao

I do think you are even more picky than my husband , Freda... maybe just a smidgen more... but I think you still win hehe

5. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Sigh, what can I say! I dined tonight on an inch thick succulent panfried pork chop and baked potato with all the fixins accompanied by a lush green salad with a simple oil and vinegar dressing. Only problem is, sigh, it was dinner for one. But, at least it was candle lit and I did have some company, a dog on each side looking longingly at my pork chop.

6. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

I was wondering when we were going to hear from you on this subject! LOL