Thanks for checking out Let's talk...Memory Books!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited browsing options, why don't you take 37 seconds and Sign up. Once you do you'll be able to enjoy all the great benefits of membership like
  • Ability to interact with other Let's talk...Memory Books members
  • Create new discussions
  • Reply to existing discussions
  • Modify your profile to have a custom avatar, signature and more!
  • Too many membership perks to list! Join today for free!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. this is just a test for the message system
    Dismiss Notice

Help!

Discussion in 'Welcome & Help' started by Tink, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

Hey Lynne,

On my computer at work, the drop down menus in the forum don't work. Do I need to change settings?

xoxoxox,
    Tink

2. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member

Umm taking a wild guess that you're using Internet Explorer? If so it would be because that's a crap browser. LOL! Take a look and see if they have javascript disabled.

>Tools >Internet Options > Security > Custom Level - Scroll right down to near the bottom and you should see "Scripting of Java Applets". See if that is enabled.

Failing that? Download Firefox LOL!

3. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

Okay....I'll check all that. I did log on as administrator (ahem) and download java, but that didn't help. I'll check the settings.

4. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member

Java and Javascript are two different things so you take a squiz and see if it's switched on in the settings.

5. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Um, Lynne, I'm thinking of getting a new computer and it looks like I'll be stuck with the Vista OS. Anything i should know about getting on forums with vista? (Other than, "Don't get Vista.")

6. Tink

Tink
    Expand Collapse

Hi Freda,

My new computer runs on Vista and I have no problems accessing this forum....or any other problems so far.

xoxoxox,
    Tink

7. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Oh, ok thanks, Tink.

8. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member

I would seriously advise you NOT to get Vista if at all possible. If you HAVE to have it then check that there are drivers available for your printer, scanner etc. and anything else that you have.

I know if you buy Dell that there is still the option to have Windows XP on some of their machines.

9. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that's what I've heard. But $1787 for Dell vs. $890 Mwave with almost exactly the same features... Oh well I'm still at the looking stage but my computer is 8 and 9 and 10 years old, the XP is an altered version that stopped taking updates with SP2. Now Symantec won't update (sigh, it's telling me to get XP). What was fast when I built it is slug slow now and I'm really not current enough in the field to build another one, although I may have to try.

10. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member

Freda,

I have heard from techy people that the dual / quad cores are only really effective with Vista as the older operating systems weren't built to recognise them. Don't quote me on that though. The system I'm using right now is Media Centre, which I've locked down with Zone Alarm to stop it calling home to Microsoft all the time and that seems to have made it really stable and less processor/memory intensive.

Tell me what the specs are you're looking at and I'll see what I can find out for you if you like. :)

11. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Intel quad core, 3gb dual channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 500GB - 7200RPM SATA 3.0 Gb/s, 16MB cache, Dual drives 48x Combo +16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capable, 256MB Radeon ATI HD 2600 XT, Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio. I may just give up and build another computer but I'm really to out of date and lazy.

12. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member

Freda,

Well according this *this thread* Quad cores are quite capable of running on Windows XP Pro sooooo what you COULD do is buy the machine you wanted (even though it has Vista on it), then buy a copy of XP Pro which I don't think is that expensive these days. Disconnect the hard drive in the new machine, insert another one, install Win XP and bob's yer uncle. That way if anything does screw up you already have a hard with a fully operational OS on it to get you out of trouble.

That's what I would do because there's no way in hell I'd use Vista in the state it's in right now.

Looked at Dell's stuff and it appears that their Quad core machines don't give you the option to customise with XP Pro :(

Even if you built your own you'd still have to buy XP Pro wouldn't you? I suggest you buy that soon if you want it before it's unavailable.

Not much help I know, but I'll see what else I can dig up (apart from bones lol).

13. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Well, Uncle Bob died a few years (like 12 or 14) ago but that sounds like a viable plan. Or get another OS entirely, either Sun or Redhat.

14. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member

Ubuntu is a good one if you're taking that route. :)

15. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Looks quite interesting. Does it install over Windows or instead of. I didn't see any place on the web-site for questions.

16. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member

Actually you can run it from a CD although you can't save anything doing it that way unless you set up a place on your hard drive to save things. It's not too difficult I don't think.

There IS a way to dual boot with Windows although haven't done that yet.

Try this forum - Unbuntu forums they might have information you could use. :)

17. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

'k, thanks.

18. jeni26uk

jeni26uk
    Expand Collapse

using vista rather than xp dont changge things much just vista has better security than xp