Thanks for checking out Let's talk...Memory Books!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited browsing options, why don't you take 37 seconds and Sign up. Once you do you'll be able to enjoy all the great benefits of membership like
  • Ability to interact with other Let's talk...Memory Books members
  • Create new discussions
  • Reply to existing discussions
  • Modify your profile to have a custom avatar, signature and more!
  • Too many membership perks to list! Join today for free!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. this is just a test for the message system
    Dismiss Notice

A-Z of Diets

Discussion in 'Health & Wellbeing' started by Lynne, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Lynne

Lynne
    Expand Collapse
    Admin
    Staff Member

A-Z of Diets
    source: Better Homes

<table border=1 cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" width=620><tr><td valign=top width=70 bgcolor="#CC0000"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#FFFFFF">Diet</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#CC0000"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#FFFFFF">Type</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#CC0000"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#FFFFFF">Description</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#CC0000"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#FFFFFF">Drawbacks</font></td></tr><tr><td valign=top width=70 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#CC0000"><I>Atkins' New Diet Revolution,</I> by Dr. Atkins</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Extremely high-protein, low-carbohydrate fare.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">All the meat and vegetables you want, no restriction on fats like butter and salad dressing, but very little fruit and no pasta or bread.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">High in fat and saturated fat. Low in fiber and calcium. Limited fruits and grains.</font></td></tr><tr>
    <td valign=top width=70 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#CC0000"><I>Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, </I>by Drs. Heller</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Low-carbohydrate eating. </font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Meats,
    dairy, vegetables, fruits, grain products; other carbohydrates are limited.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Can
    be too high in fat and saturated fat, depending on choices made for "reward"
    meal. </font></td></tr><tr><td valign=top width=70 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#CC0000"><I>Choose
    to Lose,</I> by Dr. Goor</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">The
    focus is on low fat. You get a &quot;fat&quot; budget and choose how to
    spend it.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Doesn't
    stigmatize carbohydrates. You eat lean meat and poultry, low-fat dairy,
    seafood, fruits, vegetables, bread, pasta, cereals. </font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Low
    in saturated fat. Ample fruits and vegetables. Fairly healthy. If your triglycerides
    are high, cut back on the carbs and eat more unsaturated fats.</font></td></tr><tr><td valign=top width=70 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#CC0000">DASH
    Diet</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Moderate
    fat, moderate protein intake.High carbohydrate fare.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Originally
    designed to lower blood pressure, the DASH diet follows the Food Guide Pyramid
    but encourages whole grain foods and more servings of fruits and vegetables
    (up to 9 daily) and of lowfat or nonfat dairy products (2 to 3 per day).</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">For
    some dieters, may be too much food to result in weight loss. </font></td></tr><tr><td valign=top width=70 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#CC0000"><I>Eat More, Weigh Less,</I> by Dr. Ornish</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Extremely
    low-fat, vegetarian fare. </font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Allows
    vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, limited nonfat dairy (yogurt and cottage cheese) and egg whites.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Restricts
    even some healthy foods like seafood, lean poultry, and low-fat dairy. Low in calcium.</font></td></tr><tr><td valign=top width=70 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#CC0000"><I>Eat
    Right for Your Type</I></font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Varies
    by blood type.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Type
    of diet is based on blood type. For example, recommends lots of meat for those with Type O blood.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Some
    of the "blood-type" diets are too low in calories and nutritionally unbalanced. No proof that blood type affects dietary needs.</font></td></tr><tr><td valign=top width=70 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#CC0000"><I>The
    Pritikin Principle</I></font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">The
    focus is on cutting calorie density; eating more &quot;watery&quot; foods that make you feel full.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Fruits,
    vegetables, pasta, oatmeal, soups, salads, low-fat dairy. Limits protein to lean meats, poultry and seafood.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Restricts
    some healthy foods because it limits even lean protein sources. Can be low in calcium. The low saturated fat and ample fruits and veggies is a healthy aspect of this diet.</font></td></tr><tr><td valign=top width=70 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#CC0000"><I>Protein
    Power</I></font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Extremely
    high-protein, low-carbohydrate eating.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Lots
    of meats and fats. Some fruits and veggies. </font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Too
    high in fat and saturated fat. Too low in calcium. Restricts some healthy foods like grains and beans.</font></td></tr><tr><td valign=top width=70 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#CC0000"><I>Sugar
    Busters!</I></font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Low in
    carbohydrates, moderately high in fat and protein.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Many
    forbidden fruits and grain products. High-fat meats and dairy products allowed.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Restricts
    some healthy foods, like carrots and bananas. Low in calcium.</font></td></tr><tr><td valign=top width=70 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#CC0000"><I>Volumetrics</I></font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Low
    calorie-density eating.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Fruits,
    vegetables, pasta, oatmeal, soups, salads, lean meats, poultry, seafood, dairy. Very few fatty foods or dry foods like crackers, pretzels or popcorn.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Reasonably
    healthy. Low calorie density. Low saturated fat. Lots of fruits and vegetables.</font></td>
    </tr><tr><td valign=top width=70 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#CC0000">Weight
    Watchers</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Moderate
    fat, moderate protein, high carbohydrate</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Flexible eating program where dieter spends an "allowance" of points to put together a daily diet. Generally, vegetables and whole grain products are lowest in points while high fat foods are highest.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Healthy.
    Low calorie density. Dieter is not given a set meal plan and has to plan own diet every day.</font></td></tr><tr><td valign=top width=70 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#CC0000">The
    Zone </font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Moderately
    high in protein, moderately low in carbohydrates.</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Low-fat
    protein foods like chicken and fish, along with fruits, veggies, some grains</font></td><td valign=top width=100 bgcolor="#FFFFCC"><font face="Arial" size=2 color="#663366">Reasonably
    healthy, as it's low calorie density. Too few whole grains and too little calcium. </font></td></tr></table>

2. Angel

Angel
    Expand Collapse

All these diets, and not 1 in conclusive, everybody is different and so finding the diet that works for you can be so hard!!!

3. tjr

tjr
    Expand Collapse

im doing slimming world i am really enjoying it i stay 4 the meeting they r so much fun:coffeecupsmily:

4. Angel

Angel
    Expand Collapse

Id feel like i was at an alcoholics anon meeting!!!

5. Starmist

Starmist
    Expand Collapse

Well, everyone but me knew I was an alcoholic so they might as well know I'm fat - as if I could hide it.:animal27::animal27::animal27: